Complete the following questions in your English book:
1. Summarise the BtN story about migration cuts.
2. Why was immigration encouraged after the Second World War?
3. How does the Government decide how many immigrants are allowed to stay in Australia?
4. What are skilled migrants?
5. Why are they important to the Australian economy?
6. Why has the Government decided to cut the number of skilled migrants?
7. Why do some people disagree with this?
8. Do you think the Government should reduce the number of skilled migrants? Explain your answer.
9. Use three adjectives to describe the influence of immigration on Australia.
10. Has your thinking about immigration changed since watching the BtN story? Why or why not?
After discussing our responses 6T created a vocabulary list to ensure we were correctly spelling the keywords from the text. Use the reading strategy ‘Finsing Word Meaning in Context’ to create 12 sentences that correctly use these words and define their meaning.
For example. The students were studying hard to complete their course in order to gain employment and successfully get a job at the end.
As a group, discuss and record what you think it means to be Australian.